Obituary for Neva Ray Hector
Neva Ray Karnes Hector, 96, of San Saba, passed away March 4, 2018 in the Pecan Valley Nursing Home in San Saba after a brief illness.
Neva Ray was born in 1921 in San Saba. She was one of 12 children born to Cleveland (Cleve) and Mattie Karnes. All her grandchildren and great grandchildren knew her as “Ray Ray”. Over the years she attracted several additional nicknames because of her short stature: Little Bit, Half Pint, Short Stuff, etc. But she relished the attention that each name gave her and answered to all of them with a wink.
On May 13, 1939 Neva Ray married Melvin Hector of San Saba. They made their home on the King/Hector place on the San Saba River in Sloan Community of San Saba County. At the time of her passing, Neva Ray had lived on this place for nearly 80 years.
Neva Ray’s favorite things to do were fishing, dancing and playing games. Over the years she pulled out some prize catfish from her trot lines in the San Saba River, plus she and Melvin traveled to many places to try their luck. She was always quick to show you her photo album which included fish almost as big as she was. In later years, she and her friend, Clarence Grumbles, made the circuit of senior dances. Often 2-3 nights a week they traveled to Brownwood, DeLeon, Lake Buchanan, Johnny Jacoby’s at Pear Valley, or any other place with a good western dance band. When it came to games, she loved to win and was notorious for not giving the grandkids or great grandkids a single break during a game of Wahoo.
Neva Ray is survived by:
• Her 4 children: Calvin Hector (Margie) of Lake Buchanan; Judy Hector Dunnegan (Cliff) of Austin; Florence Gay Hector Bagley of San Saba; Kathleen Hector Hawkins (Ray) of San Saba.
• 8 grandchildren: Bryan Hector (Martee), Marcus Hector (Debbie), Kim Bagley, Mona Bagley, Kevin Brown (Becky), Tina Brown Ormand (Kevin), Trudi Hawkins Hestand, and Tracy Hawkins (Carolyn).
• 18 great grandchildren: Emily Hector Downs (Richard), Paige Hector, Madeline Hector, Lane Hector, Berkly Brown, Brady Brown, Bryce Brown, Waylon Allen, Corey Bagley, Christian Okerholm, Sydney Okerholm, Robert Ormand, Allison Ormand, Dylan Peterson, Landry Peterson, Kaylee Hawkins, Chaz Hawkins (Danielle) and Ryan Hestand.
• 2 great-great grandchildren: Kyle Bagley and Richard Downs IV
• Two sisters: Charlie Henry of Brownwood (formerly of San Saba), and Juanice Davidson (Bill) of San Saba
• A brother-in-law: Frank Busby of Brownwood
• Numerous nieces and nephews
• And her roommate & newest best friend, Amanda Jackson
Preceding her in death were: Husband, Melvin Hector; parents, Cleveland (Cleve) and Mattie Karnes; 7 sisters and 2 brothers.